Also known simply as, The Gap, is the access between Lithgow and Hartley, via Browns Gap Road. The Sun, 16th April 1913, p. 5, records the Aboriginal name as,Gnallwarra. Named after Thomas Brown (1811-1889), who lived atEskbank House . Thomas Brown was police magistrate and land commissioner for the district of Hartley and used to ride down a bridle track in the vicinity of the present road over the Gap on his way to and from the courthouse at Hartley. Ref: Lithgow Mercury 9th June 1916, p. 6. The Empire, 20th April 1865, p. 7, records the name Browns Gap.