From 1910 to 1975, the upper levels of the Zig Zag lay abandoned. In 1972, a group of railway enthusiasts formed a co-operative and started to rebuild the track and buy rolling stock. Steam trains began to run again in 1975 on the middle road only. In 1986-7, with the aid of a NSW Bicentennial Grant, the track was extended along the top road to Clarence, opening in 1988. Tourist trains ran each day of the year (except Christmas Day) until it closed in June 2012. This tourist venture was all set to re open in late 2013, but due to bush fires extensively burning infrastructure in late October 2013, the reopening has been put on hold. Additional named features within and surrounding this historical complex, are Mount Sinai Halt, Edgecombe, Whistle, Top Points, Bottom Points and Rosegardens. Also see The Great Zig Zag.