Archibald Bell made a successful attempt of finding a passage from the Hawkesbury River to the Coxs River in September 1823. Surveyor Robert Hoddle was dispatched by Surveyor General John Oxley to survey this line just one month later, in October 1823. The name was referred to as Bell's Road, Ref: Government Notice, The Sydney Gazette and New South Wales Advertiser, 4th June 1829, p. 3. However, later the name was known as Bells Line of Road, Ref: Land sale advertisement in The Sydney Monitor, 18th June 1838, p. 3. The Lithgow Topo Map shows two sections of the Old Bells Line of Road. From Clarence to the junction of Glowworm Tunnel Road, and a small section of named road from Bungleboori Camping Ground in what is now known as Blackfellows Hand Trail. This was so named as it was part of Robert Hoddle's survey of Bell's Line, even though Archibald Bell did not traverse this area.