Sign In

Bush Explorers Encyclopaedia

Name:
Lambs Tunnel
Description:
is positioned on the north side of the Wolgan Valley, opposite Donkey Mountain. William Lamb (1852-1936) discovered loose kerosene shale here c. 1885. Ref: Carne, Joseph. The Kerosene Shale Deposits of NSW, 1903, p. 179. Ignatius Wall took out a Mineral Lease on 24 July 1906 for the purpose of shale and coal. The mining survey, completed on 10 December 1908, shows Lambs Tunnel at the southern part of the 640 ac lease. The plan also has the sum recorded of £87. Ref: Plan of Portion MP 44, Parish of Goollooinboin and Wolgan, County of Cook. S1891. A number of Lamb family members held land in the Wolgan area: Frederick, William and Albert Lamb. Ref: Survey Plan 495, 518, 612, 1856 and 1858.1507. Albert Lamb’s occupation was listed as ‘Miner’. Note: Ignatius Wall for whom Walls Cave, Blackheath is named, held a number of mining leases, one such was on Narrow Neck, Katoomba. Ref: Keats, Michael & Fox, Brian. The Passes of Narrow Neck, 2008, p. 71. Lambs Tunnel is located below Collett Gap and above the Wolgan Road on private property.
Maps:
  • Ben Bullen
Grid Reference:
  • 363 194
Location:
Private Property
Status:
Related Names:
Read More In:
Walks:
Photos:

Pagoda Rock Formations