Is a rural place and a valley located 2km east of Lidsdale. It has the creek system, Sawyers Swamp, flowing through it. Dr Walter Fawkes Mackenzie (1835-1886) applied for a Mineral Lease of 240ac at Sawyers Swamp in 1866. Ref: Survey Plan C290.1507. In a few short years, his holdings in this area had increased to 691ac (279ha). It was due to the shale, also referred to as Torbanite, mined in this locality for its oil content, which produced, when processed, kerosene. The mining in this area resulted in the locality being called Kerosene Vale. At present, this area is used as a repository for the dry ash generated by the Wallerawang Power Station. Constructed in 1960, it was filled with a combination of by product ash from the Wallerawang Power Station and mining spoil.