Is a small village, located on the crest of the Great Dividing Range about 800m above sea level, 200km from Sydney. The Castlereagh Highway links the village to Lithgow in the south and Mudgee to the north. Capertee was proclaimed a village on 4th October 1890. Ref: Government Gazette. Previously the locality was known as Capertee Camp. Ref: Application for the Establishment of a Public School, 1881 at Capertee Camp. The Capertee Railway Station was opened on 15th May 1882. Regular services ceased on 1st September 1993. Capertee Public School was opened in April 1882. The name Capertee was recorded as part of the description of the County of Roxburgh in The Sydney Gazette, 17th October 1829, p. 1 as "Head of the Capertee Rivulet". Capita River (named by William Lee, later Sir John Jamison's property) is shown on Peter Ogilvie's survey of Capita and Umbiella Creek, 31st January 1830. Ref: State Records, Surveyor Generals Maps, 2509. This aboriginal name according to Helen Riley, Wiradjuri Elder and Sharon Riley, Wiradjuri representative is a people clan name, and was originally, Capita. Ref: Oral history 3rd May 2016.