Refers to canyons and a cavern located on the eastern side of Genowlan Mountain, 2.1km south of Genowlan Point and 2.6km north east of Genowlan Trig Station. Named by Michael Keats on a Bush Club walk, 9th - 11th November 2010. Described as a, "tight, confined stream and canyon, about 3m wide, which opened into a huge cavern about 25m wide and high."The exit is called The Dragons Mouth.
Last Crusade Ravine is a small non perennial creek rising on the northern side of Blackfellows Hand Trail, 900m east of Wolgan Gap. It flows generally north for 1.2km to join the Wolgan River at GR 322 108. Last Crusade Point hasspectacular views down the Wolgan Valley and is located on the eastern side and top of the main cliff line, Also Crusade Rocks,on the eastern side, is an elevated, almost circular depression with outlier pedestal pagodas giving 360 degree views of the area, GR 322 097. All these features were named by Yuri Bolotin on a Bush Club walk, 4th October 2013, in keeping with the named Indiana Jones movie themes for this area.
Last Crusade Ravine is a small non perennial creek rising on the northern side of Blackfellows Hand Trail, 900m east of Wolgan Gap. It flows generally north for 1.2km to join the Wolgan River at GR 322 108. Last Crusade Point hasspectacular views down the Wolgan Valley and is located on the eastern side and top of the main cliff line, GR 320 102. AlsoCrusade Rocks, on the eastern side, is an elevated, almost circular depression with outlier pedestal pagodas giving 360 degree views of the area, GR 322 097. All these features were named by Yuri Bolotin on a Bush Club walk, 4th October 2013, in keeping with the named Indiana Jones movie themes for this area.
Is located below the main cliff face on the 900m contour on the western escarpment of the Wolgan Valley, 1.9km near due west of Cape Horn. Recent in terms of geology, a section of the cliff line has fallen away creating a huge opening and several tiered overhangs. Across the opening it is 30m+; the same from drip line to the back wall. It is an overpowering 50m high. The floor slopes at 45 degrees. The opening faces east. Vegetation is almost absent except for a white floweringEpacris crassifolia, seen and photographed high on northern back wall. Named on a Bush Club walk 11th June 2016 after Bill Lawler whose property is immediately below and bordered by the Wolgan State Forest.
Is located on a sandstone pagoda, being the highest point in the Cape Horn plateau. Named in 2016 by Bill Lawler, whose property is immediately below and bordered by the Wolgan State Forest. Public access is via Wolgan Road, The Bicentennial National Trail and the fire trail towards Cape Horn.
See The Barnacles
We entered a very pretty circular room on the left-hand side of the main gorge. It is about 40m in diameter and is surrounded by high walls; on the ground, amongst a sea of ferns, stands a giant solitary Eucalyptus tree. At 1218, GR 3320 2025, 982m. This area is very similar to Liberty Chamber a little further downstream, which we had found, explored and named during our previous walk here on 08 December 2017. I (Yuri Bolotin) therefore propose to name both these rooms Liberty Chambers.
Has its headwaters within the area known as Alcatraz, 450m west of Woolpack Rock. This gully flows for 500m before it reaches the main cliff line, then a further 1.4km till it joins Barton Creek. Named by Yuri Bolotin, Michael Keats and Brian Fox on a Bush Club walk on 27th February 2017. Michael’s track notes record the top section of this gully,In the green heaven below are many species of fern, tree fern and huge Eucalypts. Rain forest tree species are numerous… Over twenty minutes was spent exploring. It was nowhere near enough. Brian and I climbed high and Brian found a way up through a slot to the north. We then returned to the floor of the gully with its exceptional carpet of green and honey coloured walls. This gully that we later proved is readily negotiable all the way through the top cliff line, Yuri, Brian and I have called it Liberty Gully. It is the antithesis of Alcatraz.
Is near the junction of Blackfellows Hand Trail and Beecroft Firetrail. This is the headwaters of the Wolgan River. Ref: Interview with Dick Bird, 29th January 2010, who recalled his father, Jim, cut timber for power poles in this area, 1940s. Correspondence with Danny Whitty, 3rd July 2010. Danny used the names Lightning Tree Swamp and Lightning Tree Gully. Also more recently known by the name Junction Swamp
Is a deep gorge with almost parallel 30m high walls spaced 15m apart. The eastern wall forms the base of the feature known as Lion Rock. Located within the area known as The Three Hundred Sisters, 300m east of Genowlan Mountain. Named by Yuri Bolotin and Brian Fox on a Bush Club walk 24 November 2017.
Refers to an isolated sculptural rock formation, which created in the mind a strong resemblance to a resting lion. Located within the area known as The Three Hundred Sisters, 300m east of Genowlan Mountain. Named by Yuri Bolotin and Brian Fox on a Bush Club walk 24 November 2017.
Is a 4m wide and 80m long slot in which the western wall forms the base of the feature known as Lion Rock. Located within the area known as The Three Hundred Sisters, 300m east of Genowlan Mountain. Named by Yuri Bolotin and Brian Fox on a Bush Club walk 24 November 2017.
Rises about 2km south west of Clarence. It flows for about 3km generally north by west into Farmers Creek. Assigned 30th May 1975, previously called Lithgow Valley Creek. Ref: Parish of Lett, 4th edition, 1st November1897.
Is a non perennial stream rising on the north side of Mount Dawson. It flows generally north and east for about 6km into the Wolgan River north of Newnes. Ben Bullen Topo Map, GR 382 247, junction GR 425 261. Note: Little Capertee Creek is the next named creek to the north of Capertee Creek and both creeks are about the same in length.
Lies within the Wollemi National Park, 400m beyond the old Newnes Hotel. The Wolgan River forms the south east boundary. Also simply known as The Flat. Ref: Interview with Dick Bird and Ron Bourke, 29th January 2010, childhood memories 1940s. Named after the township and valley of Capertee.
Also known as Little Capertee Camping Area, as per NPWS signage at the entrance to the camping area.
Refers to the cliff line on the northern side of Little Capertee Creek. Name was recorded with map in Taylor, Pete. The Wolgan Valley Rockclimber's Guide, 1st ed; 1974, p. 17. Shown as Little Capertee Cliffs on tourist hand drawn map titled The Newnes Area, 2005, by Thomas Ebersoll, owner of the old Newnes Hotel.
Is a projecting rock pagoda as seen to the north west 360m above Little Capertee Camping Ground, Newnes. Walking access is via the camping ground and Cathedral. Canyon. Spectacular views down and up the Wolgan Valley. Named by Yuri Bolotin and Brian Fox on a Bush Club walk 28 August 2017.
Rises on the northern side of Waratah Ridge and generally flows south for 2km to join Cerberus Creek. Named by Michael Keats on a Bush Club walk, 7th May 2010. Michael recorded, "At the foot of these cliffs, the dry sandy floor was covered in hundreds of dog footprints. Is that why the main creek is called Dingo Creek? This creek needed a name with dog connotations, and so Cerberus Creek was named." Michael named Little Cerberus Creek as it was smaller and flowed into Cerberus Creek.
Is a narrow gully, about 70 meters in length, 800m near south of Dicksonia Forest Ravine. Named on a bushwalk by Paul Ma, 20 October 2016.
Little Rock Island is an isolated and elevated area, roughly kidney shaped, that has a top surface area of just over half a square kilometre. Like its bigger brother, it is essentially a large, prominent, isolated rock with little vegetation. It is located immediately south of Rock Island. Named by Michael Keats on a Bush Club walk, 20th October 2011.
Is 2km in length and separates the Wolgan Road near Blackfellows Hand Rock from Lambs Creek. This old local timber cutter name was in use when the bullockies pulled timber from the area. It was in use up to the 1950s. The name derives from a log bridge over Lambs Creek. Ref: Oral history, local resident, Ossie O'Brien, 20th April 2012. The highest point is 1087m.
Is located near the junction of Beecroft Firetrail and Kangaroos Creek Road. Ref: Correspondence with local historian, Danny Whitty, 3rd July 2010. Local usage name, c1960s.
See Donkey Mountain, north east section
Through which the Coxs River flows, is parallel to the Wolgan Road and is 500m west of Angus Place. This is a descriptive name, as the swamp is 1.7km long and 50 to 300m wide. Swamp shown (no name) on Baker, William. Map of the County of Cook, c1843.
Is a natural pass giving access from the plateau off Glowworm Tunnel Road towards Carne Creek, 2.3km east of Wolgan Pinnacle. A descriptive name coined by Michael Keats on his Bush Club walk, 10th October 2007.
Is the most northerly point of the cliff that juts out over the southern side of the Wolgan River, 1.7km north east of Blackfellows Hand Rock. Named by Yuri Bolotin on a walk, 8th August 2013, in keeping with the named theme, The Temples of Doom, Indiana Gorge, etc., of other features nearby.
Commences as a small stream and breaches the cliffs above the Wolgan River. This name was coined by Michael Keats on a Bush Club walk, 19th August 2013 after the northern most point of land named as Lost Ark Point. Access via Blackfellows Hand Trail, 2.8km from the Wolgan Road.
Is located 3km south west from Bungleboori Camping Ground. A 4WD vehicles is needed to negotiate the rough terrain to the end of the ridge. The end of the road overlooks Marrangaroo Creek and the old silted up dams on a side tributary. In the late 1980's probably around 1989 Victor (Vic) Widman, of Great Divide Tours, firstname.lastname@example.org visited this area and followed the dead end track which led to the unusual rock pagodas. At the time he was a freelance, writing for 4 x 4 Australia Magazine and an Express Publication known as 4WD Weekend Escapes. He coined the name, The Lost City, in these articles, Vic recalls making up the name for the articles based on the lost cities of the Incas in South America , and to his knowledge no one else at that time evercalled it the Lost City. The final descent to the Lost City was closed off by State Forests towards the end of 2002.
Is a 400m cliff lined ravine and a tributary on the southern side of Rocky Creek. It has roughly a north south configuration, 1.4km north of Mount Budgary. So named by Brian Fox and Michael Keats on a Bush Club walk, 17th April 2009, due to the intense feeling of entering the domain of the lost world of Jurassic Park (as per Steven Spielberg's movie).
Is an amazing 20m isolated column near the headwaters of the creek between Gang Gang Road and North Ridge Road. Named by Michael Keats on a Bush Club walk, 24th July 2015. The biblical story is that Lot's wife was turned into a pillar of salt for disobedience.
See Hades Ridge.
See Hades Ridge
Is located above the main cliff line 200m north of Wolgan Rock and 600m south east of Collect Gap. It is a double slot that runs for about 100m from the top of the ridge in a south west direction. Its walls are about 30-40m high; they are 2-5m apart in one branch and less than 1m apart in another. Named by Yuri Bolotin on a Bush Club walk 6th March 2017.
See Donkey Mountain, middle section
Is positioned on top of 50m cliff line and pagoda located at the western end of Firetrail No. 2 via Glowworm Tunnel Road. It has views overlooking Carne Creek to the west and Camp Creek to the east. AJ Jack placed a plaque at this location in 2002,"In loving Memory of Lurlene Jack 22/4/28 - 5/9/67" His mother had died aged 39, when AJ (christened Anthony Neil Jack) was only two years old. Lookout named by Karen McLaughlin and shown in her pamphlet, Short walks on the Newnes Plateau compiled for the Blue Mountains Conservation Society, June 2009. In research by Brian Fox and correspondence to AJ Jack, it was found that his mother's name was correctly spelt as Lurline.
When AJ Jack placed the plaque on this rock he also wrote the following poem.
I woke one day and you were gone
I cried but you could offer no comfort
Your ashes were cast to the winds
No plaque No stone
Just fleeting infant memories to show your time on earth.
But now a lone rock on a bare hill will carry your name
A simple reminder that you were here
And among the towering sentinels of sandstone
I can focus my thoughts on remembrance
And I can finally say goodbye.
Is a narrow gully on the upper tributaries of Genowlan Creek. The start of the defile is from the 4WD track 1.1km north of Genowlan Trig Station; it extends 500m northwards from 860m to 1000m and gives easy access to Paddys Mountain from Genowlan Creek. Named by Rodney Falconer, who was one of the major players in the creation of the Gardens of Stone National Park, November 1984. Updated by Brian Fox and Yuri Bolotin after a bushwalk on 2 August 2019.
Is located 1.2km due south of the old Newnes Hotel above the main cliff line. Described by Michael Keats as follows: “ a small slot passage suddenly opened out into a glorious richly decorated natural room.”So named by Brian Fox, Michael Keats and Yuri Bolotin on a bushwalk, 12th September 2016. A recently vacated Lyrebird nest gave rise to this name.
Thomas Maddox opened up a stock route from Cullen Bullen to Bells Line of Road in 1870. His stock route was shorter and avoided the toll at Blackmans Flat. This line of road traversed up the spur line on the eastern side of Cullen Bullen (known as Maddoxs Pinch) along Ben Bullen Range and north east of the Great Dividing Range to Gardiners Gap. From Gardiners Gap the line followed Long Swamp Road south along the Wolgan Road and joined Angus Place Trail where the present Angus Place Mine is located. This route then joined the Beecroft Firetrail to the junction of the Blackfellows Hand Trail. From thence it followed a small section of the present Old Bells of Line Road, changed direction due south on the eastern side of the present motorcycle club at Happy Springs and looped around to the east before once again joining the Old Bells Line of Road. (Note: A section between Bungleboori and Happy Springs, from which the present road deviates, was the source of the water supply for the stock at Paddys Swamp and the sawmill site). Maddoxs Line then traversed south east through the present sand mining area, went north of the Main Western Railway loop and along the present road on the northern side of the railway line and joined Bells Line of Road about 1km west of Valley View Road, Dargan.
Ref: Map showing the various attempts to find the best route from Mt Victoria to the Western Country by Alex Wilson, 1914. On Maddox Line is also the notation, “Route suggested by delegates of Richmond Committee for Road Mudgee to Wellington Valley”. Also text, “Stock route Cullen Bullen to Bells Line opened by Thomas Maddox. ”
Survey Plan C513A.1507, dated 25th December 1875, with wording, "Maddoxs Line of Road for Travelling Stock.” County of Cook, Parish of Marrangaroo, 2nd edition, 1889. Spelt as (sic) Maddock’s Line.
Thomas Maddox had purchased 30ac on the Coxs River at Lidsdale in 1853. Ref: Survey Plan C38-1507. Maddox Lane in Lidsdale carries the family name.
See Blackfellows Hand Rock, Blackfellows Hand Trail.
Is a non perennial creek rising south east of Mount Airly. It flows generally south, south west for about 3km into Reedy Creek. First shown on the map Parish of Coco, County of Roxburgh, 4th edition, 1918. To date, no research has unearthed the origin of who Malcolm was. Perhaps with Scottish names in this area, such as Airly and McLeans, it may have been named after King Malcolm of Scotland.
Joins Hut Trail at GR 221 301 and continues to Glen Davis Road at GR 234 314, and in doing so crosses Malcolms Gully, hence the name of this trail.
Is shown on Baker, William. Map of the County of Cook, c1843. Name recorded as Middle River or Marrangaroo Creek on the Blue Mountains Burragorang Valley Tourist Map, 1932. Flows generally west into the Coxs River
See Cleopatras Needle.
Is the locality name and suburb of Lithgow City Council. According to Danny Whitty, an Aboriginal descendent of the Wywandy tribe, Marrangaroo is a combination of two words, one for Emu and one for Kangaroo. Ref: Personal correspondence, Danny Whitty to Michael Keats, November 2009. Wendy Lewis, legally recognised as a traditional owner of Wiradyuri lands, in her correspondence of 8th April 2010 records, Marrangaroo as an Aboriginal word meaning good magpie. However according to Helen Riley, Wiradjuri Elder and Sharon Riley, Wiradjuri representative, the aboriginal name means, Little Black Ant. Ref: Oral history 3rd May 2016.
Is a watercourse rising on the State Mine Gully Road, half way between State Mine Gully and Bungleboori Camping Ground about 3km west, north west of Happy Valley Springs. It flows generally west and south for about 16km through the suburb of Marrangaroo into the Coxs River.
Follows the Coxs River from the Great Western Highway at Wallerawang to the headwaters of Lake Lyell. Created in February 2007, it covers an area of 1,671 hectares. Its highest point is Mount Walker at 1189m.
Extends from the Blue Mountains Range near the junction of Blackfellows Hand Trail and Beecroft Firetrail and trends in a south west direction for 7km towards the Great Western Highway.
Is not an approved name, nor is it a local name. Conrad Martens drew sketches of Blackmans Crown and entitled one sketch "The Crown from the Inn 13th Dec 74" (1874). In December 1874, Conrad Martens(1801-1878), one of the colony's best known painters of the time, spent about a week at the Crown Ridge Inn, Capertee. He sketched a number of the area's most spectacular views and later converted at least one into a watercolour. Ref: Jefferys, Bruce. The Story of Capertee, 1982, p. 5 and 10.
Is located on the southern side, at the base of the cliff line about midway along Donkey Mountain. Named by Yuri Bolotin on a bush walk 5th December 2016. Yuri recorded,“It is over 50m high by 30m long and consists of multiple parallel bands several metres thick, each of them in turn has dozens of thinner plates that display infinite variety of weathering patterns and an astonishing multitude of colours – all shades of browns, greys, yellows, oranges, and whites – all theatrically lit by the sun. This nature’s masterpiece took my breath away.”
Also see Mount McLean. A pass leading out of Wolgan Valley up to Mount McLean. McLeans Pass divides the watersheds of Barton Creek on the east flowing into the Wolgan Valley from Crown Creek on the north flowing into the Capertee Valley. Walking access is via Baal Bone Gap. Shown on the map Parish of Ben Bullen, 1885. John McLean (1790-1876), born in Lynedale, Isle of Skye, Scotland, married Marion (1807-1889) in 1825. John, Marion and daughter Marion, sons George, Alexander and Donald and their nurse Marionne Stewart arrived in Sydney on the 12th December 1837. They proceeded to the Capertee Valley, where he took over John McLean's (his brother in law) property known as Warrangee. The McLeans had 6 daughters and 6 sons. Ref: Coxon, Betty. Not Lost but Gone Before. A Family History of the McLeans of Capertee, 1999. The SMH, 15th April 1845, p. 3, records John McLean's 300ac property Warrangee. On the death of James Walker of Wallerawang, John McLean leased his property called Wolgan and purchased all the stock thereon. John McLean cut a pass through the mountains which separated the Capertee and Wolgan Valleys, hence giving an access to both his properties. At one stage, the McLeans via freehold or lease were the major landowners in the region and John became the undisputed "Lord of Capertee". Ref: Palmer, Freda and Scurrah, F L. Tour of Rylstone and Capertee Valleys, 1969, Pt: 2, pp. 4-7. This "cut" pass, referred to above, is most likely Hughes Defile and is located on the Ben Bullen Topo Map, GR 326 210.
Is a short cut exit route to Airly Gap midway between the communication tower and Airly Turret plus access to the bottom end of Airly Turret Slot. Referred to by this name by Peter Medbury on a Bush Club walk, 16th November 2015.
Is an overhang 2.1km north, north west of Newnes. Above the cliff line of Little Capertee Creek. Graeme Melville used this cave on one of his bushwalks and passed the information onto Michael Keats for his walk on the 27th June 2009.
See Poseidon Arena.
Is part of a pagoda 750m west of the road intersection of Glowworm Tunnel Road and Firetrail No. 7. This is an unusually shaped section of rocky shelf which, when sat on and viewed from a certain direction, appears to be suspended in space. Named by Michael Keats on his Bush Club walk, 21st September 2007.
Also see Gemini Cave which is located below the main cliff line, 200m north of the western end of Firetrail No. 7 via Glowworm Tunnel Road. It is a large overhang separated by a natural buttress, forming two distinct chambers. Dimensionally, these hollows are as follows: the smaller one is 3m wide, 10m high and 11m deep with a 40 degree climbable entry slope; the larger one is 17m wide, 20m high and 20m deep with a 45 degree climbable entry slope. Named by Michael Keats on a Bush Club walk on 16th January 2012."The ceilings, again an inadequate word, are works of art, being a palette of colours with the embedded tracery of complex, three dimensional ironstone banding. As works of art, they rival the Sistine Chapel and the work of Michelangelo."
Is a series of jagged peaks likened to the feature, Western Arthurs in south west Tasmania, except on a very small scale. Located 3km south east from the barrier at the end of Waratah Ridge Road. Named as such prior to 1990.
Is located 640m east south east of Goochs Crater. Similar surrounding cliffs and green carpeted vegetation at its base, but on a smaller scale. Named by Brian Fox when exploring with his brother John after the October 2013 fires on the 17th March 2014.
Refers to the long, deep, narrow crevice at Deep Pass. Named by Graham Condon (member of The Bush Club). When he visited Deep Pass on 15th December 2004, he had just returned from Standley Chasm, Alice Springs and reflected on the similarity of the two. However he was not the first to record this likeness. Daniel, G and Lord, S. Bushwalks in the Sydney Region, 1993, Vol. 2; p. 62, records this, "a miniature Standley chasm." Also simple known as, The Slot. Ref: Olive Noble's tracknotes from Woody Pear Walking Group, November 1993.
Is a canyon located in an unnamed creek system that flows generally east into the western side of the Wolgan River, 1.7km south, south west of junction of Zobels Gully and Wolgan River. Access via Wolgan Road, 3km south of Newnes. In Greek mythology, the Minotaur was a creature with the head of a bull on the body of a man. He dwelt at the centre of the Cretan Labyrinth, which was an elaborate maze like construction. Named by Michael Keats on a Bush Club walk, 21st July 2010. Described by Michael as, "It is labyrinthine, it is mysterious, it is serpentine, it is long and it is varied; it is a special place." Previously known as Bell Miner Canyon, so named by Andrew Valja due to the Bellbirds in this vicinity, May 2002.
This gully has its headwaters on north eastern side of Koopartoo Mesa and generally flows in an easterly direction for 2.5km to join the Wolgan River 300m south of Zobels Gully junction. Within the gully is the feature known as Minotaur Lair, and overlooking this gully on the southern side is Minotaur Watch and Minotaur Point. Name coined by Yuri Bolotin on a Bush Club walk, 10th September 2016.
Allows access from the southern end of Minotaur Lair up to the top of the escarpment, into the area known as Koopartoo Mesa. Located on the southern side of Koopartoo Gully 1.6km south west of the Wolgan River / Zobels Gully junction. This allows a circuit walk along the top pagodas and return via the canyon known as Minotaur Lair. Named by Yuri Bolotin, Michael Keats and Brian Fox on a Bush Club walk, 7th October 2016.
Is located at the north eastern end of Koopartoo Mesa, 900m south west of Wolgan River and Zobels Gully junction. This view point gives views north into the Wolgan Valley and across to the eastern cliff line. Named by Yuri Bolotin on a Bush Club walk, 10th September 2016. So named in keeping with the Minotaur related names in this vicinity.
Is a creek system on the eastern side of Derailment Hill discharging into Dingo Creek. It flows generally in a south east direction for 2.5km. Named by Michael Keats on his Bush Club walk, 31st October 2007. So named after the Aboriginal Gundungurra word "what".
Was named by Emanuel Conomos on the 3rd November 2013. He was on a reconnaissance walk for the Blue Mountains Conservation Society. When he saw this slot from the top of the cliff line, he said, " it would be a miracle if it goes. " This pass gives access from the top of the cliff line (200m south of the end of Firetrail No. 7, which in turn is off Glowworm Tunnel Road) to Carne Creek.
Is located off the Glowworm Tunnel Road and near the end of Firetrail No. 7. A scooped out cave some 40m across by 20m high just around the corner from the Weather Cave. This overhang was surveyed by Ross Ellis and Erik Halbert on 18th October 2006. Ref: The Journal of the Sydney Speleological Society, 2007, 51 (5); pp.134 -138.
Are located 2.75km north of Gardiners Hill and 1km west of Rowans Hole. Named afte rthe Moffitts (see Moffitts Trail ). When entering Moffitts Pagodas, you walk through a level encirculed rock walled area.It was named the Ceremonial Room by Michael Keats on a Bush Club walk 14th July 2010, due to the feeling that Aboriginal initiations could have taken place here. On the north west end of Moffitts Pagodas, there is a large isolated rocky pagoda, known as The Boss GR 249 207.
Joins Hutchinson Road at GR 224 215, 1km north of Ben Bullen. General direction is east and joins Baal Bone Creek Road and 900m south of Baal Bone Gap. Named after Joyce Grace (28.11.1930 - 31.7.1999) and Vern Busby 20.3.1924 - 15.9.2001) Moffitt, who were environmentalists associated with the protection of the Gardens of Stone National Park. Name proposed by the National Parks and Wildlife Service, January 2007. Note: The Topo Map incorrectly shows the wrong spelling of Moffitts Trail as Moffits Trail. New NPWS signage placed, c 2014, shows along with old signage Moffitts Trail, the name, Ben Bullen Trail.
Is a mostly perennial creek rising on the Darling Causeway about 2.5km north west of Bell. It flows generally south west for about 3.5km into Dargans Creek. The early explorers mistook the Koala for some type of Monkey, hence the name. Another possibility for this name is that it was given by timber cutters, who referred to Eucalyptus cypellocarpaas Monkey Gum. This species was prevalent in the creek that bears this name.
Is a tall, thin, isolated pagoda located in Ben Bullen State Forest. 700m north, north west of the junction of the Great Dividing Range and Ben Bullen Range. Named by Yuri Bolotin on 14th December 2012, because when someone stands on this prominent rock, it becomes that person's monument for a short time.
Is located at 1000m, midway between the Dumbano Tunnels and Cesspit Creek. Named by Peter Fox on one of his National Parks Association walks in the 1990s after fellow walker Diane More.
A lands administration division within the County of Roxburgh, Land District of Rylstone. Morundurey is shown on Peter Ogilvie's survey of Capita River and Umbiella Creek, 31st January 1830. Ref: State Records Surveyor Generals Maps, 2509. The name later became the Parish name for this district. Monundurey is also a lapsed name for Genowlan Mountain.
Is 1.4km west of the locality of Town of Airly and 1.5km north of Glen Davis Road. Also see Airly.
Is a flat topped mountain 2.2km south east of Capertee. The name Alloway Bank was the property name of Captain John Piper (1773-1851), whose main residence was in Bathurst. He also held grazing rights in this area of Alloway Creek. Ref: Fry, Ken. Beyond the Barrier, 1993, p. 118, records, Captain John Piper “excelled in hospitality and social graces. His door was always open to guests and visitors of his class.” John Piper was an early Magistrate and hence held in high honour and esteem. Alloway was named after the Alloway in Ayrshire, Scotland. Captain John Piper was born in Maybole, Ayrshire. Ref: Eldershaw, M. Bernard, The Life and Times of Captain John Piper, 1973, p. 126.
Is the highest point on the Newnes Plateau and in the Greater Blue Mountains National Park. Located 700m south west of the road intersection of State Mine Gully Road, Old Bells Line of Road and the Glowworm Tunnel Road. It has a height of 1189.4m. In 2011, Richard Delaney was surveying for the highest point with Andy Macqueen. Richard’s 5 year old son Ben Delaney accompanied them. Named by Andy Macqueen, who recorded,“Given Ben's quiet patience, it seemed logical to me to reward him by appending his name to the high point.” Ref: Blue Mountains History Journal, issue 3, October 2012, p. 17. .
Is the highest point on the Newnes Plateau and in the Greater Blue Mountains National Park. Located 700m south west of the road intersection of State Mine Gully Road, Old Bells Line of Road and the GlowwormTunnel Road. It has a height of 1189.4m. In 2011, Richard Delaney was surveying for the highest point with Andy Macqueen. Richard's 5 year old son Ben Delaney accompanied them. Named by Andy Macqueen, who recorded, "Given Ben's quiet patience, it seemed logical to me to reward him by appending his name to the high point." Ref: Blue Mountains History Journal,issue 3, October 2012, p. 17.
Is a hill, 1030m, located between Rocky Creek and Budgary Creek. 2.2km north west of the barrier, Mount Cameron Trail at Natural Bridge.
Encompasses the area surrounding Mount Budgary and enclosed by Rocky Creek and Budgary Creeks. The name has been coined by Michael Keats on 5th August 2009 when describing the walking passes he named after Moths in this area. A hut known as Budgary Hut, possibly an itinerant's, used to be located on the south east side of Mount Budgary. The name Budgary first appears on the Parish Map, 1890.The name is a corruption of the word, "buggery" and would have been a description of the terrain, being an absolute "bugger". John Norris and two brothers, Alan May and Russell (Russ) Alfred May (1926-2010), walked this area in the late 1940s. They referred to the names Buggery Creek and Mount Buggery. Mount Norris is named after John. Ref: Correspondence with David Warren Noble,14th October 2009.
Is a large domed mass of olivine basalt about 4km north of Rock Hill and about 7km east, north east of Mount Budgary. John Cameron applied for Conditional Lease of Portions 2, 3 and 11 bounded by the Wolgan River and near the junction of Annie Rowan Creek, in 1892. This total area of 250ac was confirmed on 31st May 1893. In 1921, he also took out a Special Lease in this area for grazing, which he held until 1928. Ref: Survey Plan 1930, 1931 and 1932.1507. Parish Map of Rock Hill; County of Cook, 1883 has the text added, "Cameron's Old Track", this text does not occur in later editions. Mount Cameron is shown on the map Parish of Wolgan, 1884. The Survey Plan C1810.1507, dated 8th November 1890, describes Mount Cameron as, " The greater part of the area varies strikingly from the adjacent country, it appears to have resulted from volcanic agency and comprises rich soil clothed luxuriantly with good grass." Landowners were Joseph George Beecroft, William Charles Wallace, Henry Coventy Wallace and David William Wallace, from 1903 to 1926. It was then held by Vida Harris Jones till her death and subsequently passed onto her daughter Vidie Harris Clark, who held it till 1969. Ref: Conditional Purchase Lease Cards and Certificate of Title Vol. 3928, Fol. 80. On the 30th May 1947, this area was proclaimed a Bird and Animal Sanctuary. It is now part of the Wollemi National Park. James (Jim) Bird held a lease over the property for about five years in the 1960s. Ref: Dick Bird's son, correspondence of 29th January 2010. Other lease holders after the Birds included Herbie McAndrew and Kelvin Gale. Ref: Danny Whitty, 19th February 2010.
Encompasses the area above the cliff line and above the Wolgan River in the north, above Rocky Creek in the west, Annie Rowan Creek in the east and Nayook Creek in the south. Michael Keats referred to this area on a Bush Club walk, 2nd October 2007.
Extends in a north east direction from Eastern Boundary Road, GR 451 063, near Cockatoo Hill Trig Station, crossing Dinner Gully and the Natural Bridge and finishing on the north west side of Mount Cameron. Vehicular access is only for the first 5.7km.
Has a height of 830m, located about 3km south west of Mount Gundangaroo. Mount Canobla,Canobla Creek and Canobla Gap are shown on the map Parish of Gindantherie,1892. The Sydney Gazette and New South Wales Advertiser, 19th January 1832, p. 3 records,"the three lofty peaks are more familiarly called, the Canobalas, elevate their summits almost to the clouds." Canobla most likely was derived from the name Canobolas, an Aboriginal word describing the shape of the mountain near Orange, NSW. Mount Canobolas was originally known as Canoblas and it is the highest peak in the Central West of NSW. Ref: The Maitland Mercury, 26th July 1851, p.4. The early pioneers such as John Blackman and the Dulhunty brothers, who came from the Orange and Dubbo districts, could associate Mount Canobolas as being the dominant landform in their district. Canobla was also a property name within the Capertee Valley. Ref: Glen Alice SchoolCentenary 1884-1984, p. 23.
Also see Clarence. Located about 5km east, south east of Lithgow. It has Blackmans Creek on the west and Reedy Creek on the east. Clarence Trig Station 1174m is on its summit.
Is the highest point on the mesa between Blue Rock Gap and McLeans Pass, 2.6km north east of Baal Bone Gap. It is surmounted by Wolgan Trig Station that has a height of 1081m. A smaller hill on this same mesa is Mount Jamison. Shown on the map Parish of Wolgan, 1884. Palmer, Freda and Scurrah, F L. Tour of Rylstone and Capertee Valleys, 1969, Pt: 2, p. 1, records that Mount Davidson was named after Surveyor Walker Rennie Davidson, who surveyed the township for Rylstone in 1842. Another version is that it is named after Murray and Catherine (1852-1882) (nee McLean) Davidson, who at a land sale in Rylstone on the 11th September 1878 purchased Portion 160, Parish of Goolloinboin, County of Cook. Ref: Survey Plan 675.1507. They also purchased Lots 33 and 34 in April 1879. Ref: Survey Plan 144.1507. Also recorded in NSW Government Gazette, 11th September 1875. Murray Davidson had designed the church at Glen Alice.
Is a prominence on a mesa 5km south west of Newnes.To the east, are the tributaries of Capertee Creek, to the south, Barton Creek, and to the west, Red Rock Creek. Shown on the map Parish of Goollooinboin, 1884. Possibly named after T. J. Dawson, who purchased 4000ac from Sir John Jamison. Name recorded on the Survey Plan 224.1507, dated 1866, but sale was prior to this date. Another contender for this name is Jessie Dawson, who in 1874 purchased land fronting Coco Creek as well as Portion 6, Parish of Coco, County of Cook, in 1899. Ref: Survey Plan 2778.1496. The licensed surveyor for this plan was James Dawson.
Is located 420m north north east of Mount Dawson on the Capertee / Wolgan divide. It is a more of sheltered location between the rocks as an ideal place to camp. Known by this name or the name Dawson Caves by bushwalkers from early 2000.
Is a very steep, almost vertical natural pass 200m north, north east of Mount Dawson. The pass access from the Capertee Valley and Goolooinboin Station was discovered and named by Michael Keats on a bushwalk, 13th September 2009.