During the period when oil was being extracted from shale oil (torbanite) between 1865 to 1870 Hartley Valewas known as Petrolea Vale uring the period when oil was being extracted from shale oil (torbanite) between 1865 to 1870. Ref: Pells, Philip and Hammon, Philip. The Burning Mists of Time, 2009, p. 35. The Goulburn Herald and Chronicle 25th November 1865, p. 5. At Hartley Vale two companies were launched within months of each other in the second half of 1865, first the Hartley Kerosene Oil and Paraffine Co. Ltd., then the Western Kerosene Oil Co. The HKOPCL made the initial running, establishing the Petrolea Vale retorts and refinery in the valley and marketing Star brand kerosene. By 1868 the company had sixty employees mostly living in a sizeable private village and a new bench of retorts of a more advanced shape was installed. The Petrolea Vale retorts and refinery closed down in 1870.
Is a gully near the turnoff to the Hassans Walls Lookout, Lithgow. A walking track commences a few metres north east of the sign at the turnoff. Lithgow Mercury, 8th January 1915, p. 6, records,"After some discussion a name was given to the new beauty spot. ... it was decided to call it "Hassan's Glen," on the suggestion of Mr. Langlands."Hassans Glen contains Sandford Cave, Braceys Lookout (1915), Pillans Lookout, Dooleys Lookout, Hoskins Cave, Ryan Cave, Gannon Cave, Cook Cave and a track to King Georges Head and Anzac Ridge.
Is a locality name, Hassans Walls is shown on the map, Sketch of the Road to Bathurst marked out in 1830 according to a sketch made in 1827. Ref: SRNSW: AO Map No. 5027. The Survey Plan 41.691, dated 9th October 1832 shows two allotments of land sold and buildings for the ‘Bridge Party’, the road labelled as Major Mitchells Road. A post office was establishedin 1834 as a midway point between Penrith and Bathurst, the mail being delivered twice a week. Ref: Sydney Gazette and NSW Advertiser 8th July 1834, p. 2. The Travellers Inn was in operation by 1835. Ref: The Sydney Morning Herald, 20th July 1845, p. 2.
is the name given to the line of cliffs on the southern side of Lithgow between Browns Gap and South Bowenfels. Possibly named by Governor Macquarie during his official tour over the Blue Mountains to Bathurst in April 1815 as it reminded him of when he was stationed in Hassan, India; the mountains there were called the Walls of Hassan. Survey Plans, dated 1832 show land ownership near Hassans Walls. Ref: Sydney Gazette and NSW Advertiser, 23rd August 1832, p. 1. Names within this area were listed as separate entries and included: Padleys Pedestal, Padleys Pedestal Trig Station*, The Dukes Head / King Georges Head, The Ridges: Anzac, Wilton, Clwydd, Cooerwull; Lookouts: Finnigans, Braceys, Pillans; Glens and Gullies: Rutherford, Hassans, Pavilion, Caves: Cook, Gannon, Hoskins, Ryan, Hur1ey, Ronald and Sandford. Tracks: Undercliff Path / Track, Hay Steps, Heffernan Pass and Padleys Pass. See Gardens of Stone National Park and beyond, Book 7, Walk 7.21, for detailed Track Notes.
Refers to the main lookout area and highest point, 200m north of Padleys Pedestal Trig Station. Access via Hassans Walls Road, Lithgow. Shown on the Katoomba Topo Map 1:63360, 1935 at 3723ft (1135m). Ref: Lithgow Mercury, 4th February 1910, p. 3.
See Hassans Walls
Is a small cave on the edge of the cliff. It is accessed by a hole that has been cut in the back wall of the cave. About 50m west of Padleys Pedestal Trig Station. The opening is about 80cm wide, 1.25m high and leads into semi spherical chamber about five metres wide, four metres long and over two metres high. A chain link fence protects the visitor from the 50m drop. Ref: The Journal of the Sydney Speleological Society, Vol. 60; No. 4, April 2016, pp. 108,110-115.
Includes an area of over 780ha. The northern perimeter of the Reserve abuts Lithgow’s residential and industrial areas, while the Reserve’s southern boundary adjoins the Great Western Highway. Hassans Walls Road provides access to the Reserve from either Lithgow township or via Browns Gap Road. This reserve has been added to from the first Gazettal Notice, Notified 15th November 1882 to the present day size in 1978. Trustees were appointed from 1892. Ref: Parish of Lett, 2nd edition, 1889.
Refers to the long cliff line on the eastern side of Wolgan Gap Trig Station which overlooks the southern part of the Wolgan Valley. Name recorded in Taylor, Pete and Penney, Andrew. The Wolgan Guide,1984, p. 110 and 125. So named by Mike Law and Pete Taylor after the "hassle" to walk there in scorching heat from the valley floor, c1975.
Is a very small 200m spur east of Capstan Spur within the area known as The Barnacles, it was named by Michael Keats on a Bush Club walk, 14th September 2015. This spur ends as an abrupt rock face with a concealed cave at the southern end. This cave can be entered from the top just like the hatch on a vessel and hence named The Hatch, and the spur, Hatch Spur. Also at the southern end of the spur is a large block like feature and given its shape and disposition was named by Yuri Bolotin as The Rudder , GR 492 907. WollangambeTopo Map.
Is a rock balcony located on the northern tip of Point Hatteras with amazing views to the north. Named by Michael Keats on Bush Club walk, 7th September 2015.
Refers to the highly unstable section of the cliff line below Point Hatteras at Airly. Named by Michael Keats on Bush Club walk, 7th September 2015.
Overlooks Monkey Creek. Access 800m south east of the road intersection of Valley View Road and Bells Line of Road. Postal address is 213 Chifley Road, Bell. This huge sandstone cave has a height of 25m and a depth of 20m. Hatters Cave is set out with lighting, cooking, tables and chairs and is available for renting out. It is approved as accommodation site by Lithgow City Council. Named by the owner, Mark O'Carrigan, in 1981, when he was exploring the area. In a previous career, Mark was a professional hat maker. Note, this cave is on private property.
Maybe the stone steps or stone slabs of the top section of Pavilion Gully in the vicinity of the communications tower at Hassans Walls, Lithgow. There is a Hay Street, Lithgow which was named after Robert Hay (1857-1909) who was the manager of Oakey Park Colliery. Lithgow Mercury, 8th January 1913, p. 2 records a Mrs Hay who was Robert’s wife and who lived in Hassans Walls Road.
Has its headwaters on the western side of Galah Mountain. It flows generally in north, north eastern direction for about 7.5km till it joins Rocky Creek. Within this creek is the canyon called Heart Attack Canyon. It was entered in early 1976 by a party led by Chris Cosgrove. The name was coined because the party was woken in the morning at the former Bell by someone wanting to use the phone to report a person having a heart attack. Ref: Kameruka Magazine, September 1977, Vol. 15. No. 1, p. 10.
Refers to the pagoda studded area on the northern side of Bungleboori Creek, accessed via fire trails from Waratah Ridge. This area includes named features, Dead SeaScroll, Angels Window and Ascension Point. The view from this area to the south includes Holts Heaven. Named by Michael Keats on a Bush Club walk, 25th June 2012, in keeping with the heavenly named themes of this locality.
Is an area of land on the western side of the Great Dividing Range and south of the Baal Bone Gap - Mount McLean ridge line. Hecate is a Greco-Roman goddess associated with magic and crossroads. Named by Michael Keats of The Bush Club, June 2010. Michael describes it as, "This country is another world - a world of soaring rocky pagodas, tens of metres high, joined by fern filled chasms and slots and peppered with large Eucalypts."
Runs along the spur line from the western end of Hassans Walls towards Old Bowenfels. Name suggested by James Padley to the Lithgow Progress Association after Benjamin Alfred Heffernan (1875-1937), Engineer, Blaxland Shire Council who had graded the track. Ref: Lithgow Mercury, 4th June 1915, p. 6. This track is shown on the Hartley Topo Map.
Is a natural pass south east of Hagar Castle from Rocky Creek to above the cliff line. Name suggested by Michael Keats on his Bush Club walk, 1st October 2008. This name followed the description and naming of Hagars Castle by Ian Thorpe. In the comic strip, Helga is Hagar the Horrible's dominating wife.
Henry Canyon is within Henry Creek which has its headwaters on the eastern side of Glowworm Tunnel Road near Deanes Siding, it flows in a generally northern direction for about 5km until it joins Deanes Creek. Named after Henry Deane by Michael Keats on a Bush Club walk, 22nd July 2012. Within Henry Creek is a delightful, fern filled canyon, named Henry Canyon by Michael Keats
Has its headwaters on the eastern side of Glowworm Tunnel Road near Deanes Siding, it flows in a generally northern direction for about 5km until it joins Deanes Creek. Named after Henry Deane by Michael Keats on a Bush Club walk, 22nd July 2012. Within this creek system, from GR 435 160 to GR 436 172, is a delightful, fern filled canyon, named Henry Canyon by Michael Keats.
Gives walking access from the Old Coach Road down into Henry Creek and Henry Canyon. Named by Michael Keats and Brian Fox on a Bush Club walk, 25th January 2013.
Is located on the eastern side of Neubecks Spur, overlooking Neubecks Creek. It is about 900m long. Named by Brian Fox and Michael Keats on a Bush Club walk, 19th October 2012. A cave on the end of this short spur has been modified and converted into rough accommodation.
Hero Pass is the pass from the eastern side of Mount Stewart and traversing the spur line on the eastern side of Hughes Defile, to Hero Point. Hero Ravine is the next deeply incised ravine to the east of Hughes Defile and headwaters of Sapling Flat Creek, 329 219 to 330 215. Named by Michael Keats on Bush Club walk, 21st September 2015.
Refers to the high point of rocky outcrop on the western end of a narrow spur on the eastern side of Hughes Defile with uninterrupted views overlooking the Capertee Valley. Named by Michael Keats and Yuri Bolotin. Hero Pass is the pass from the eastern side of Mount Stewart and traversing the spur line on the eastern side of Hughes Defile, 327 219 to 328 218 to Hero Point. Hero Ravine is the next deeply incised ravine to the east of Hughes Defile and headwaters of Sapling Flat Creek, 329 219 to 330 215. Named by Michael Keats on Bush Club walk, 21st September 2015.
Hero Ravine is the next deeply incised ravine to the east of Hughes Defile and headwaters of Sapling Flat Creek. Named by Michael Keats on Bush Club walk 21st September 2015.
Is a cliff lined, pagoda topped, narrow tributary of Genowlan Creek, 500m north, north east of Genowlan Trig Station. This narrow defile is orientated north south and 400m in length. Named by Dr Haydn Washington, November 1984. Ref: Correspondence with David Blackwell, 27th April 2010 and Haydn’s map.
Is a pagoda filled area located some 500m above and on the southern side of Bungleboori Creek. Named by Peter Fox on a National Parks Association bushwalk, July 2003 after his friend, Michael John Holt who was one of the walkers on the day. Michael had seen something interesting on an aerial photograph in this area prior to the walk.
Is a tight, narrow and relatively deep, short, dry canyon on the southern side of the Wolgan River, 1.4km east of Wolgan Gap. Before and above the cliff line, the canyon ends in a rectangula rroom, some 10m x 40m, surrounded on all sides by soaring cliffs and, centrally disposed in this room, is a clump of 12 Brown Barrel Gums. Michael Keats on a Bush Club walk, 4th October 2013, named this feature The Covenant Room and the ravine, Holy Grail Ravine. Names chosen were in keeping with Indiana Jones movie themes for this area.
Is a 600m long canyon, generally orientated north south, having its southern entrance near the intersection of the GlowwormTunnel Track and the Pagoda Track. It was first explored by Andrew Valja and Dave Lockwood in 2001.
Are 10m high and are located 300m north of Mount Dawson, in the same vicinity as the Infra Red Spectrum Cave. Named by Steve Murray on a Bush Club walk, 12th September 2009. So named due the semicircular shape.
Is the first rock overhang on the upper track on the right hand (western) side of Hassans Glen, within Hassans Walls Reserve, Lithgow. Named after Charles Henry Hoskins (1851-1926). In 1907, Charles took over the Sandford steelworks and in 1919-20 Charles bought his brother's share and formed Hoskins Iron and Steel Co. Ltd. He gave the 50,000 pounds to build the Hoskins Memorial Church (Presbyterian) at Lithgow. Ref: Lithgow Mercury, 14th May 1915, p. 4. Forty metres further along from Hoskins Cave is Ryans Cave.
Refers to the hill immediately behind (west) of the old Newnes Hotel. Named by Thomas Ebersoll, owner of the old Newnes Hotel and shown on his hand drawn map The Newnes Area, 2005.
Is a way of route from Wolgan Road which breaches the Wolgan Valley cliff line opposite Donkey Mountain,1.4km east of Collett Gap. Ross Howard owns the property where permission must be gained to cross from Wolgan Road to the Wollemi National Park boundary. Named by Yuri Bolotin, Michael Keats and Brian Fox on a Bush Club walk 6th March 2017.
Is accessed via Glowworm Tunnel Road, Eastern Boundary Road and Deep Pass Trail. It is approximately 750m south west towards and above Dingo Creek. Described by Michael Keats as,"Upstream of the arch is a very large, almost circular void, 30m in diameter, 35m - 40m deep, with the gully at the back, delivering a small waterfall into the void.The arch aperture is roughly rectangular, about 35m high and about 15m wide.The "roof" of the arch is very solid, possibly 5m thick. On the downstream side, the western cliffs are close to vertical, visually exaggerating the scale of the site."Named on 19th July 2010 by Brian Fox. This arch was shown to us by Karen McLauglin and Andrew Valjia, who had also seen a reference to this arch in an article dated 1957. So named as it is in the locality of the "wild dog" names - Dingo Creek, Cerberus Creek and Little Cerberus Creek.
Is a deep saddle connecting the Capertee and Wolgan Valleys. The northern end is located at the head of Sapling Flat Creek, about 1km south of Mount Stewart and 1.5km north east of Wolgan Trig Station. The Geological Map of the Capertee and Wolgan Valleys by Joseph Carne, 1901, shows a bridle track through Hughes Defile. Shown on the map Parish of Wolgan, 1884. Joseph Hughes was born on 2nd July 1840, the second son of Edward Hughes, a convict transported to Sydney in 1823. In 1832, Edward Hughes was sent to work for James Walker on his property, Wallerawang. Two months before Joseph was born, Edward received formal pardon. However, being the son of a convict meant limited job opportunities, so Joseph became a bullock driver. After marrying Agnes Eager Black, he settled at Wolgan Gap. Ref: Edward - Anne Hughes Reunion, Black Springs, 27th November 1988, compiled by Josie Noonan, Lithgow and District Family History Society. Joseph Hughes selected his first 40ac in the Wolgan Valley on the 1st April 1869. Ref: Survey Plan CP1038-69 (about 3km south, south east of Hughes Defile). He went on to purchase three other 40ac parcels of land. Ref: Survey Plan C403.1507 and CP3767-70. Joseph's sisters Rebecca and Julia both married into the Murray family who had the earliest connections with the Wolgan Valley through their grandparents, Edward (Ned) and Rosannah (Rose) Murray. Ref: Murray family tree. John McLean owned extensive land holdings in the Capertee Valley and leased the property Wolgan after James Walker's death. John McLean had cut a pass to allow access to both the Capertee and Wolgan Valleys for the ease of agisting his stock. Ref: Coxon, Betty. Not Lost but Gone Before. A Family History of the McLeans of Capertee, 1999, p. 20.Note: The Survey Plan 403.1507 dated 12 June 1869 records as Capertee Gap.
Is located on the eastern side near the top of Rutherford Glen within Hassans Walls Reserve, Lithgow. Named after John Hurley (1844-1911) MLA for Hartley. Ref: Lithgow Mercury, 18th May 1917, p. 6.
Extends from Glen Davis Road, 4.5km from Capertee, and follows a ridge line for 3km in a south east direction, ending above Airly Creek. A hut used to exist about 100m south of the junction with Glen Davis Road. A few shards of pottery, glass and rusting tin are all that remains of this hut.
See Ida Falls Creek
Rises above the Bells Line of Road between the Zig Zag Railway Line on the east and Scenic Hill on the western side. It flows for about 3km generally north by west into Farmers Creek. Ida Falls within this creek have quite a few old names and dates written on the surrounding cliff faces, several dating to 1893. The Australian Town and Country Journal, 13th January 1894, p. 31; col. 2, records,"Lithgow-favourite holiday resorts...The most noteworthy of these are...Ida Waterfalls. The last mentioned, strange to say, although but 2 1/2 miles from the town, were only discovered by some old fossicker, I believe, a few months ago."
Yuri Bolotin’s description of the challenge of reaching the Impossible Cave is worthy of repeating, “Idecided we should all climb up the rock face and have a look, as that would be about the right height to access Geoff’s Impossible Cave on Donkey Mountain. A sharp but straight forward scramble brought us to the ledge above, which continued around a protruding cliff face and into another, very steep gully. This gully contains a big cave-like space of probably 20m on all sides. A little bit further up it turns into a very tight canyon slot. Ev managed to squeeze through and climb some distance in it but was stopped by sheer cliffs. We concluded that this large space is in fact the Impossible Cave”. , 900m. Geoff Fox started to use this name to describe the cave in 2010. (Personal communication with Geoff Fox 24th May 2018).
Refers to a cave and constructed pathway, situated on the Wolgan - Capertee Divide, with old internal infrastructure that was seen by a bush walking party led by Barry Higgins on the 3rd October 1977. Barry had likened it to the cliff trails of the South American Inca people and hence named it so. Ref: Track notes from Wilf Hilder's collection held by Stephen Imrie. David Warren Noble was also on this walk.
David Warren Noble added this name on his map of the area. A Bush Club walk on the 19th May 2012 to this location resulted in a much more extensive find and research results. The Newnes Investigation Committee had employed surveyor Reginald Henry Pocock, who in 1933 compiled contour surveys for works and township sites (future Glen Davis) and also trial lines for a railway and/or aerial ropeway from Newnes to Glen Davis, if required. Pocock also recorded that the survey party used a cave to sleep in, to avoid the steep walking daily to and from camp. Ref: Pocock, R. H. Every Day a Picnic. A Surveyors Story. Reproduced within Stateworks, January / February 1987, pp. 28-32. Extensive dry stonewalling extends from this cave for about 300m in a generally northerly direction.
Is a 400m gorge, filled with a carpet of green bracken; it consists of side overhangs, slots and isolated pagodas. Indiana Slot is just one of these side slots being about 40m in length and for the most part 50cm in width. The gorge is located on the southern side of the upper Wolgan River cliff line and on the northern side of the junction of Blackfellows Hand Trail and Fire trail No. 5. Named by Yuri Bolotin on a Bush Club walk, 22nd July 2013, in keeping with the named theme, The Temples of Doom, which are located about 800m south west.
See Indiana Gorge
Are five near inaccessible, huge, orbicular overhangs on the western side of Endorphin Gully subtended beneath towering rock blades capped with pagodas. Named by Michael Keats on Bush Club walk, 3rd February 2014,
Is located 300m north of Mount Dawson. This large cave near the top of Mount Dawson Pass could accommodate perhaps six tents, having a good, flat, sandy floor. Named by Michael Keats on his Bush Club walk, on 12th September 2009, due to the yellow, orange and red spectrum of colours within the sandstone walls.
Elevation 1060m, is located on the Great Dividing Range, overlooking Invincible Colliery. It lies 3.5km south, south east of Cullen Bullen. This section of the Great Dividing Range is the boundary of the parishes Cox and Cullen Bullen. A fire trail along this range gives access to this trig station.
Is estimated as having a 20m long drip line, and being 15m deep and 10m high. It also has graffiti. Two examples are decipherable, G. Rutherford and T or J Wilson. Named by Yuri Bolotin on a Bush Club walk, 30th August 2103, due to it having a view across the gully to Invincible Trig Station, 600m to the south west.
See King Georges Head
Is not so much a mountain but rather an elevated area bounded on three sides, west, north and east, by a huge loop of the Wolgan River. The southern side is Deanes Creek. This proscribed area is about 24sqkm. The Sydney Morning Herald, 10th January 1906, p. 7, ProposedTramway Route, records engineering difficulties in crossing Constance Gorge and Island Mountain. Other References; Tramway from Wolgan to Clarence. Survey Plan M12435. Surveyed by John Haydon Cardew, Licensed Surveyor, 13th December 1905.
Is a name shown on a mud map of part of the Airly region prepared for the Cowie family reunion in 1984. A walking track shown on the map records walking access from the valley floor GR 239 329 south of the property now known as Rock Bottom up a creek system and through a gap in the cliff line, Jackass Gap to the top of the mountain 245 326.
Is a locality name near the Wolgan River and Wolgan Road,about 7km north of Wolgan Gap. Accessed via Wolgan Road. Originally Jacks Camp was set aside as a Water Reserve No. 22, of 25 acres. It was notified in the NSW Government Gazette on 19th January 1875. The reserve was revoked on the 12th April 1935. The Survey Plan, 5-2062, Parish of Wolgan, dated 1874, shows the text, " Crossing place" (across a swamp) and the words, "Jack's Camp". Named after the adjacent property owner, Jack Lamb. Ref: Joe Bird (who owned land in this vicinity),oral account to Brian Fox, 15th June 2009. A number of the Lamb family members held land in this area - Frederick, William and Albert Lamb. Ref: Survey Plan 495, 518, 612, 1856 and 1858.1507.
Is located on the top of the cliff line and on the western side of Genowlan Mountain. Named after Jaime Plaza Van Roon, a professional photographer for the Royal Botanic Gardens. Jaime walked a number of times with the proponents of the Gardens of Stone, Dr Haydn Washington, Rodney Falconer and David Blackwell, c1984.
Refers to the huge cleft on the northern side of Mount Jamison on the Wolgan - Capertee Divide. This pass has a width varying from 1 to 20m and sandstone walls between 10 to 20m in height, its length is about 300m. The pass, though not easy in the middle section, gives access to top and bottom of the main cliff line. Named by Michael Keats on a Bush Club walk, 30th September 2013.
Note:- The top section has also been known as, The Chasm
Jamison Pass South is a natural pass on the southern side of Mount Jamison on the Capertee / Wolgan Divide. This pass gives access from the divide down into the Wolgan Valley via the headwaters of Barton Creek. Named by Yuri Bolotin on a bush walk 11 January 2019.
Is located on the top of the Wolgan Valley’s highest cliff line, 1.3km east of the propertyKoopartoo and above Kenobi Canyon. Named by Yuri Bolotin on a bushwalk on 30 September 2017 in sympathy with Kenobi Canyon below it, and because this is a spot that any Jedi Master, such as Kenobi, would be proud to stand on whilst talking to the young Initiates. A Jedi (J-E-D-A-I) is a member of Jedi Order of key protagonists of the Star War movies. The use the Force to uphold peace and justice in the Galactic.
Is located 1.1km due east of the property Kooparartoo and gives access up the final cliff line to the feature known as Jedi Point. Named by Yuri Bolotin on a bushwalk on 1 March 2019 after Jedi Point.
See Donkey Mountain, north east section
Has its many tributaries on the Great Dividing Range, 5.5km east of Ben Bullen and 2km west of Baal Bone Gap. It flows for about 14km generally south west, then west and north into the Turon River. The Sydney Gazette, 10th August 1844, p. 1, records that at Jews Creek there was a boiling establishment. One of the by products was to extract tallow from sheep fat to make candles. The Maitland Mercury, 3rd August 1844, p. 3, records,"The Boiling Establishment at Jews Creek is now in full operation, capable of boiling down 3,500 sheep or 300 head of cattle per week." Jews Creek was most likely named due to the Jewish owners nearby. Ref: Rolls, Eric. A Million - Wild Acres, 1981, p. 146. Lang, John Dunmore. An Historical and Statistical Account of New South Wales, 1875, p. 221 records, "Kuen Guen, or Jew's Creek."
Refers to a natural seat like formation on top of the cliff line overlooking Carne Creek. Located 3.3km north east of Birds Rock Trig. Access via eastern end of Birds Rock Trail off Sunnyside Ridge Road. Jim in his 80s has led many walks for the Blue Mountains Conservation Society, the Sydney Bushwalkers and NPWS. To honour Jim's involvement in the bushwalking leadership this feature was named by Hugh Speirs when leading a Conservation Society walk, 3rd August 2013.
Is accessed via Wolgan Road and Blackfellows Hand Trail. It is located about 700m east, north east of Blackfellows Hand Rock and has views to the north over the Wolgan Valley. Named after John Eric Noble (1924-1995), it is a special place visited by the Woody Pear Walking Group. It is here that the ashes of John Noble were scattered, July 1995. Ref: Olive Noble's track notes and interview, 27th August 2010.
Has its headwaters between the road intersection of Glowworm Tunnel Road and Firetrail No. 5. It flows south, south west for 1.2km into Carne Creek. Named by Michael Keats on his Bush Club walk, 16th February 2007 after Joseph Edmund Carne (1855-1922), a brilliant geologist, Curator of the Mining and Geological Museum and Government Geologist in 1916.
Is near the junction of Blackfellows Hand Trail and Beecroft Firetrail. This is the headwaters of the Wolgan River. Known by this name from at least by 2001 by consulting environmentalist Ray Mjadwesch. By 2014 this swamps vegetation dead.
Was named by Yuri Bolotin on 30 July 2018. He records, “By 1402, we reached Genowlan Creek in the area known as Jurassic Park. As everywhere else we had been today, this location was in the grip of severe drought. Still, it retained the pre-historic feel that must be responsible for its name – giant Tree Ferns line the creek banks covered in smaller ferns and Bracken. One could imagine it would look so much better and more luxuriant after a bit of rain. I thought it would be appropriate to name the wild gorge we had followed from the tops (Paddys Mountain) all the way here, Jurassic Gorge.”
Is located near the headwaters of Genowlan Creek,1.4km north east of the communication tower at Airly. Named by Colin (Col) Maxwell Ribaux, former local land owner. The descriptive name comes from Steven Spielberg's 1993 movie, Jurassic Park.
Is a partly perennial stream rising on the western slopes of the Blue Mountains Range about 1.5km north west of Bell. It flows generally south, south west and west for about 4km to meet Dargans Creek and become the River Lett. The descriptive name comes from the Kangaroos seen and located in the corner of this valley.
Is a watercourse rising about 6.5km east of the village of Lidsdale. It flows for about 9km generally north and west into Long Swamp, which is the headwaters of the Coxs River. Name recorded on the Survey Plan C210.1507 dated 11 September 1863.
Is located at the headwaters of Kangaroo Creek. This flat area has the headwaters of the Wolgan River on the north side. Marrangaroo Creek headwaters on the south side and Kangaroo Creek headwaters on the western side. It is also the road junctions for the Blackfellows Hand Trail and Beecroft Firetrail. Ref: Name via correspondence with Danny Whitty, 3rd July 2010. Local usage name c1960s. Edward Murray (see Murrays Swamp ) died 3rd February 1862 at Kangaroo Creek, his granddaughter Rosanna Noon was born 8th March 1854 at Kangaroo Creek. Ref: Descendants of Edward Murray and Rosannah McConvil, prepared by EanJones. Name shown on Survey Plan 210.1507, dated 11th September 1863. It would have been so named due to the Kangaroos in this region. Kangaroos Creek Road joins Beecroft Firetrail and midway crosses Kangaroo Creek.
Heads north from Beecroft Firetrail and links Blackfellows Hand Trail. So named as it crosses Kangaroo Creek. The name is unusal to call a road, as all other roads in this area are referred to as Fire trails.
Is located underneath the Wolgan Valley’s top cliff line, 1.3km east of the propertyKoopartoo. The canyon entrance is a huge, diamond shaped slot of grey and brown sandstone, devoid of any vegetation, some 40m high and 10m wide at the cliff line. It has two chambers. The first quickly tapers into a narrow passage, with a large boulder obstructing the view. The second chamber also has a chock stone blocking the gap but once through the constriction, the canyon suddenly opens into a hall of grand proportions. Craig Flynn found the canyon in May 2016, whilst exploring in this area with his friends, by abseiling in it from the top. He named it Kenobi Canyon for the legendary Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi, a character from the Star Wars movies.
Is a rural place and a valley located 2km east of Lidsdale. It has the creek system, Sawyers Swamp, flowing through it. Dr Walter Fawkes Mackenzie (1835-1886) applied for a Mineral Lease of 240ac at Sawyers Swamp in 1866. Ref: Survey Plan C290.1507. In a few short years, his holdings in this area had increased to 691ac (279ha). It was due to the shale, also referred to as Torbanite, mined in this locality for its oil content, which produced, when processed, kerosene. The mining in this area resulted in the locality being called Kerosene Vale. At present, this area is used as a repository for the dry ash generated by the Wallerawang Power Station. Constructed in 1960, it was filled with a combination of by product ash from the Wallerawang Power Station and mining spoil.
Refers to a smooth, conical pagoda located west of the north end of McLeans Pass,overlooking the Capertee Valley. The name derives from a similar feature described in a mythological story, The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, The Unbeliever, by Stephen Donaldson. Named by Dr Haydn Washington, November 1984."Kevins Watch is an eyrie / lookout ever so high over the plains below and nearly impossible to climb. A place for profound contemplation." Ref: Correspondence with David Blackwell, 27th April 2010.
Is located 800m north east of InvincibleTrig Station. Named by Brian Fox. While photographing this area, he came across a NSW vehicle number plate with the letters KEW.
Is a natural slot in the cliff face located at the northern end of Rockflower Creek Passage, and the eastern side and southern end of Cape Pinnacle. This 50m north south narrow slot ends with a 90 degree slot giving access to the top of the cliff line. So named by Yuri Bolotin on a Bush Club walk, 5th September 2011 in which the normal leader would have been Michael Keats. With a play on words, Keyhole is an acronym of,"Keats eat your heart out looking envious."
Is a prominent rocky pinnacle that can be seen from the Great Western Highway and that resembles the features of a human head. Located south of Padleys Pedestal Trig Station within Hassans Walls Reserve, Lithgow. Louisa Anne Meredith on a journey to Bathurst in 1839 described the rock formation as, Duke of Wellington. Ref: Notes and Sketches of NSW, 1844, p. 79. Charles Godfrey Mundy in 1846 described it as,The Dukes Head. Ref: Our Antipodes, 1852. The Illustrated Sydney News 7th February 1889, p. 8, records, “a curious isolated rock, called ‘King George’s Head,’ from its outline supposed to resemble that of the face of the English Monarch.” Also called Iron Dukes Head. Ref: Lithgow Mercury 26th May 1903, p. 1.St. Georges Head. Ref: Lithgow Mercury, 26th August 1935, p. 6.
See Hassans Walls
Is part of the Koopartoo Mesa complex. Located 1.3km west of the Wolgan River and Zobels Gully junction. This rock like room is about 40m long and 2m wide. Positioned next to and parallel with Ariadne Thread and Theseus Slot. Named by Yuri Bolotin on a bushwalk 22 August 2017 in keeping with the mythology theme names related to the Minotaur, Ariadne Thread, etc. King Minos was the King of Crete and the father of Ariadne; he built the labyrinth to house the Minotaur.
Refers to a rocky outcrop on the skyline as viewed from the Castlereagh Highway, on the eastern side, one kilometre north of Cullen Bullen. Ref: Elaine (Lucy) Devigne, oral history 20th September 2012. Lucy had known this feature by this name from 1947.
Is located 2km north west of Tyldesley Hill and 3.5km north west of Cullen Bullen. Kirbys Hill is 999m above sea level. Elizabeth Kirby married William Walker in 1828 at St Andrew Scots Presbyterian Church, Sydney. They had nine sons and two daughters. On the 17th May 1839, William received a grant of 1000 acres in the Wolgan Valley. This area is now the site of the Emirates Resort. Ref: Wolgan Valley Homestead Complex -Conservation Management Plan, prepared by Conybeare Morrison International, 2006, p. 8. NSW BDM: Marriage Rego No. V182880 73A/1828. The Conditional Purchase Register Book records George Kirby (junior), Cullen Bullen, 29th January 1903, having 125ac (51ha) and 150ac (61ha) of land.
Is a significant cave being 25m across the mouth, 20m high and 20m deep. Located on the eastern cliff line above Carne Creek, 1.5km north west of Deanes Siding. Access via Koan Pass or The Gurgler. This overhang features an irregular band of creamy white flowering Epacris crassifolia up to 50cm wide around much of the back wall. When a name was suggested for this cave it was unanimous by the bushwalking group to celebrate with the leader on the day, Yuri Bolotin, whose grandson, Koan Bolotin was born 48 hours previously on the 1st of November 2014. This cave is an inspirational and contemplative place, so Koan is absolutely perfect.
A special rock formation. It looks mysterious and mythical half hanging over the cliff line. Located 200m south of Koan Cave.
Gives easy natural access ramp to Koan Cave, 100m to the north and the lower cliff line above Carne Creek.
This gully is immediately north of Koopartoo Ravine and immediately south of Minotaur Lair. It is a trident headed waterway with the western most extension reaching west to GR 410 220 and flows generally south to join the Wolgan River. Named by Michael Keats, Brian Fox and Yuri Bolotin on a Bush Club walk, 1st April 2016. This gully is now not negotiable towards Minotaur Lair, as described in Book 2, Walk 21, p. 313 (GR 414 222). On 18/08/17, during a walk in that area, we noticed that the tree we had used to secure the tape to, as described in the Track Notes, is no longer standing.
Is roughly six square kilometres of high ground, having Capertee Creek on the north west side and the Wolgan River on the east and southern side.
An easy graded pass from the top of Koopartoo Ravine on the eastern side to the top of the crest. All of which is part of the Koopartoo Mesa. Named by Michael Keats, Yuri Bolotin and Brian Fox on a Bush Club walk, 1st April 2016.
This point is located on top of the cliff line and the most southerly point of the Koopartoo Mesa and overlooks the property Koopartoo in the Wolgan Valley below. Named by Brian Fox, Yuri Bolotin and Michael Keats on a Bush Club walk, 1st April 2016.
is located above the top cliff line, above the Wolgan River and 850m north west of the property,Koopartoo. This natural easy ramp is 5m wide and about 150m in length, descending about 50m underneath the cliff line at Koopartoo Point. Named by Yuri Bolotin on a Bush Club walk, 6th April 2017.
Is a short tree fern filled canyon which allows access through the cliff line from the Wolgan Road to the mesa of high ground above. Located 1.3km north north west of the Koopartoo homestead. Named by Michael Keats on a Bush Club walk, 17th March 2016.
The word Koopartoo may have been Koompartoo
Burnum Burnum (Harry) 1936-1997, Indigenous leader, sportsman, public servant and educator. "Koompartoo, a fresh start or ‘new beginnings”
I wonder if Koopartoo was misspelt and the ‘m’ missed out.
Hubert Alfred Tweedie moved from Cullen Bullen where he was born toKoopartoo in 1953. "The outdoors was in his blood so, in 1953, Grandpa, his mother and "brood" relocated to Koopartoo near Newnes". Ref: Eulogy as read by his granddaughter, Jean Ticehurst, 2004.
Refers to a mid level cliff ledge walk from Koopartoo Ravine to Koopartoo Gully. The ledge can be viewed from the left hand side of the Wolgan Road from where the sealed section becomes dirt. The 2km traverse was found to be a viable route and named by Yuri Bolotin and Brian Fox on a bushwalk on 29 September 2017.
See Jews Creek
Is located on a upper western tributary of Genowlan Creek between Lyrebird Defile and Jurassic Gorge, 1km south, south east of Point Hatteras. So named by Yuri Bolotin and Brian Fox on a bushwalk of 2 August 2019 because of the many offshoots of the main gorge and for the exceptionally tall tree ferns in the central section.
Is a narrow canyon within the upper reaches of Genowlan Creek, between the eastern side of the communications tower and Airly Turret, 1.2km, north, north west of Genowlan Trig Station. Colin (Col) Maxwell Ribaux, former local land owner, set up a number of successive ladders so that the "girls could get down the ravine." It is a delightful experience coming down the top half of the ravine, using the ladders. Named by David Blackwell, one of the three major players in the creation of the Gardens of Stone National Park, c1984. Several gnomes have been placed in discreet locations in the defile.
Is part of the Coxs River Water Supply Scheme and is located 8km south west of Lithgow. This concrete faced, rock filled dam with a height of 46m was completed in 1982 and upgraded in 1992. The northern headwaters of the dam are within the Marrangaroo National Park. Named after John Frederick Lyell (1862-1913), who established his property fronting the Coxs River in 1893.
This water course rises in the Newnes State Forest, 4km east of Angus Place. It flows for about 7km generally north, north west, then west into the Coxs River. The Conditional Purchase Register Book, State Records, for-91, records William Lamb, Wolgan and name of alienees (one to whom property is transferred to) as his children, Christopher, Mary, Charles and Arthur Lamb. Charlie Lamb owned the property located near Lambs Creek and the Wolgan Road (uncle to Jack Lamb after whom Jacks Camp is named). Ref: Joe Bird, past resident of the Wolgan Valley, oral history to Brian Fox, 17th June 2009. Thomas Lamb's name is recorded as owning land within the Village of Airly in 1884. William Lamb (d1894) opened up a Kerosene Shale Deposit mine on the north side of the Wolgan Valley, opposite Donkey Mountain in 1885. Ref: Carne, Joseph. The Kerosene Shale Deposits of New South Wales, 1903, p. 179.
Is a level open area in the Wolgan Valley midway between Cape Pinnacle and Mount Wolgan and having the Wolgan River on its northern side. Named after William (1822-1894) and Eliza Lamb (1833-1891) who had constructed a house and farm in 1872. Located on the Emirates resort property, the chimney is a reminder of what stood before.
Referred to a house for lodging and meals located between Lidsdale and Newnes. James Hart and Daniel O'Halloran got drunk at the Stammers (Newnes) Hotel and after an argument walked about a quarter of a mile from the pub and had a fight. Hart ended up kicking O'Halloran so severely that he was taken to Lithgow Hospital where he later died.
The police found and arrested Hart at the Lamb’s Halfway House in the Wolgan Valley. Ref: Lithgow Mercury (NSW) 28 October 1907, p. 2. Sydney Morning Herald, 29 October 1907, p. 5, col. 5. Further confirmation of the existence of the ‘halfway’ house is contained in another story published in local papers, Ref: Lithgow Mercury (NSW) 24 February 1908, p. 1. Mudgee and the Guardian 12 March 1908, p. 22.
On the north side of the Wolgan Valley, opposite Donkey Mountain, William Lamb (1852-1936) discovered loose kerosene shale c1885. Ref: Carne, Joseph. The Kerosene Shale Deposits of NSW, 1903, p. 179. Ignatius Wall took out a Mineral Lease 24th July 1906 for the purpose of Shale and Coal. The Mining survey was completed 10th December 1908 which shows Lambs Tunnel at the southern part of the 640ac lease. The plan also has the sum recorded of 87 pounds. Ref: Plan of Portion MP 44, Parish of Goollooinboin and Wolgan, County of Cook. S1891. A number of the Lamb family members held land in the Wolgan area - Frederick, William and Albert Lamb. Ref: Survey Plan 495, 518, 612, 1856 and 1858.1507. Albert Lamb occupation was listed as, ‘Miner’. Note: Ignatius Wall of which Walls Cave, Blackheath is named after him, held a number of mining leases one such was on Narrow Neck, Katoomba. Ref: Keats, Michael & Fox, Brian. The Passes of Narrow Neck, 2008, p. 71.
Lambs Tunnel is located below Collett Gap and above the Wolgan Road on private property.
Is a bush walking pass 1.9km north, north east from Mount Budgary which leads into Rocky Creek. Named by Michael Keats, 5th August 2009. This pass, along with Frenulum, Ocellus, Pheromone and Spiracle Passes, all near Mount Budgary, are named after an anatomical part of a Moth. Michael had encountered a large numbers of Moths during his series of walks on Mount Budgary Plateau.
Refers to canyons and a cavern located on the eastern side of Genowlan Mountain, 2.1km south of Genowlan Point and 2.6km north east of Genowlan Trig Station. Named by Michael Keats on a Bush Club walk, 9th - 11th November 2010. Described as a, "tight, confined stream and canyon, about 3m wide, which opened into a huge cavern about 25m wide and high."The exit is called The Dragons Mouth.